Thursday, April 26, 2012

Luddites

It's easy to forget that not everyone lives in Facebookland.

In the 19th century a group of English workmen destroyed mechanized looms in protest. They wanted to keep things simple. The way they have always been. Their mythical leader was a Robin Hood-like character named "General Lud." They became known as the Luddites.

Since then, the term Luddite has been used to describe anyone who is slow to embrace new thoughts, ideas, or technology.

And I stink at ministering to Luddites.

How am I supposed to tell you about Jesus if you don't even have email?

What do you mean you aren't on Facebook.

Wait...you don't even have a cell phone?

I'm sorry. I can't help you.

My problem with Luddites is that I don't understand them. I don't get the way they think. I don't know how to communicate with them. If I'm supposed to meet them somewhere, and I can't text them, how can we possibly find each other?

Apparently, Jesus loves Luddites, too. So how does a tech geek like me minister to someone with a rotary phone?

It all goes back to what Paul said. Become like the Greeks to win the Greeks. Become like the Facebookers to win the Facebookers.

Become like the Luddites to win the Luddites.

Ugh.

Truth is, we have common ground. We have the same savior. We need the same salvation. We just talk about it in different ways. But it is way easier for me to learn to speak their language than for them to learn mine.

So sometimes I need to put the cell phone away and leave the iPad behind, and just sit down for something we can both agree on: a good old fashioned cup of coffee.

Wait...you don't drink coffee?

I think we're done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment