Thursday, April 19, 2012

Evangelizing on Facebook without Ticking Off Everyone You Know

So here's the Catch 22. I keep talking about how your social media self should look a lot like your real, every day self. And you should do your best, as in real life, to not totally anger everyone you encounter. Avoid the land mines. Steer clear from controversy.

So what about the Jesus stuff?

The truth is, if I'm going to talk about my life on social media, then I'm going to have to talk about Jesus. Jesus is such a huge part of my life, I can't help but talk about him.

If this is not the case for you, we need to have a completely different discussion.

Talking about Jesus, though, is a great way to get people angry. Unless all of your friends are Christians.

If this is the case for you, again, we need to have a completely different discussion.

But what if you DO talk about Jesus and your friends AREN'T all Christians? How do you share your faith on Facebook without making everyone angry? Well, you won't. The Bible tells us that the gospel is offensive to those who are lost. There are going to be people who don't like what you have to say. That's a part of the cost of following Christ. People will get upset with you. They might even unfriend you.

That's not as bad as being fed to lions in the coliseum. But hey, this is 21st century suburban America. Unfriending someone is basically the same thing, right?

And sharing your faith on Facebook doesn't always mean that you are directly talking about Jesus. You might be talking about justice, or morality, or church. Stuff Jesus likes and is associated with being a Christian. Even in these things, people get upset. Its not just Jesus that's offensive, it's what he stands for.

There are ways to share your faith online without making everyone want to burn you at some sort of digital stake.

1. Do it in love, not condemnation. Don't use Jesus as your weapon to beat down the ungodly. I don't think he would like that. It's ok to be passionate, it's not ok to be cruel and condescending.

2. Be consistent. Don't post your favorite Bible verse or make a strong stance on an issue of justice and morality and then tag a picture of yourself passed out drunk on spring break. Be aware that just as in life, you can be an online hypocrite.

3. Be honest. You aren't perfect in life, you don't have to be on Facebook either. There's a difference between being a hypocrite and being real. The real you is imperfect. It's ok to admit your struggles. You might post something like: "Pastor Dan talked about forgiveness in his sermon today. I really have a hard time forgiving some people and I need to work on it. He is so wise. And handsome." Stuff like that.

4. Post other stuff too. As much as Jesus is the central part of my life, I do other things. I have a family, I love football, I drink lots of coffee. I post about these things as well. It helps spread things out. If all I posted was Bible verses, my posts would just become noise lost on someone's timeline. I try to be witty and engaging and interesting. Maybe I only am in my own eyes, but that's the effort I'm making. That way, people are genuinely interested in what I have to say.

I keep thinking of Mufasa's quote on the Lion King: "I'm only brave when I have to be. Being king doesn't mean you go looking for trouble." There are times when it becomes imperative to be outspoken about beliefs that may not be accepted by others. That doesn't mean you need to go looking for trouble.

Let's face it: Jesus ticked a lot of people off. When something needed to be said, when injustice or sin was in his presence in the worst kind of way, he was harsh and controversial. And yet somehow he was able to remain the greatest ambassador for love and peace that the world has ever seen.

Jesus didn't wake up in the morning to go looking for trouble. But he confronted it when it was necessary.

He also got crucified for it. You might have to be willing to endure that also.

And he saw that what he was confronting wasn't individuals, but the darkness of sin that had crept in. Remember who and what the real enemy is out there. It isn't the person who attacks you online. It's what is going on in their heart.

These are just some thoughts, but I think important ones. Facebook is a mission field, and we are ambassadors for Christ every time we log on.






No comments:

Post a Comment