Thursday, November 1, 2012

This Election is Different

Maybe it's just me, but this election felt different.

Both sides, Republicans and Democrats, have been battling hard to gain important political positions in the House of Representatives, the Senate, and of course, the Presidency. And there is always vicious name calling and accusations, and claims that the accusations are lies. But this felt different.

For a while, I couldn't put my finger on it. I mean, I've always noticed the political ads on TV (and quickly tired of them). I've always seen my neighbors and friends and relatives put political yard signs out in a vast array of voluntary political advertisement for the candidate or issue of their choice. This isn't new.

But still something was different.

To be fair and transparent, I can get passionate about some political issues. There are certain candidates that I think would be more qualified than others. There are issues that I hold strong convictions about. However, because of my occupation, I have decided to remain publicly neutral on most things. I know that's not always the route that my colleagues in ministry go, and I'm ok with their choice to be vocal on issues they believe in. I choose not to be, because I serve in a setting full of Republicans and Democrats alike. I have friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. And my number one goal in life is to share with all of them the love of Christ. I'm not willing to alienate any because of my stance on a political issue. Whether that would happen or not, I'm not willing to risk the gospel over it. That's just my stance, my opinion.

But this election has been different. And it's because of Facebook.

It used to be that it was fairly easy for me to remain politically indifferent in the public sphere. It's a rare occasion for someone in a public setting like my church to push me on my political views. Even if they go into a political rant, I can generally just nod my head, smile, and brush the conversation off.

But now, Facebook. Every day for the past two months (at least) as I have gotten on Facebook, I have been bombarded. Not by ads, but by my friends and family. The people I know and love. They are speaking their collective minds about their political opinions and agendas and opening cans of worms that used to stay closed. Debates between friends of mine who don't even know each other have leaked into my non-political posts. I have had to remove comments, and in extreme situations, disallow people from even being able to post on my wall because of politically divisive comments.

And then there are my friends who want nothing to do with politics. They rant about the incredible volume of political posts and how they can't wait for all of this to be over. Surely, this is not a new sentiment from previous elections, but it is definitely heightened.

Because of Facebook, I now know where almost every single person I am acquainted with stands when it comes to politics. I am surprised and sometimes even appalled at how some of my friends think. I can't believe their views are so different from my own. These are people who in some cases have helped form my identity and I have looked up to my entire life. Can I even have a rational conversation with them when these are the beliefs and convictions that they hold?

Things that were once hidden and private convictions are now publicly displayed for the world to see, and our human nature causes us to shy away from those different than us, further dividing ourselves, and pushing us towards those with whom we feel we belong.

And yet somehow, my calling is to preach the gospel to all of these children of God. How? How do I unite them together as the church? How do I convince such different people that there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female....Republican nor Democrat....but that we are all one in Christ Jesus?

I guess what makes this election different is that every ad I see and every Facebook comment I read now reminds me just how fallen we are and how far we have to go. Not that I am already where I am supposed to be, but I know where God has called me to help lead people. I'm on the same journey, and the path looks a lot harder than it did before.

8 comments:

  1. Dan, have you ever read John Roth's book "Choosing Against War?" He talks some about why he doesn't vote - mostly because it is so divisive, and other reasons related to his pacifism. But he talks a lot about ways to draw in both sides, for example, instead of having the pro-life vs pro-choice argument, can't we all agree and work together to develop crisis pregnancy support in our communities. Even if you don't read the whole book, I think you'd appreciate the chapters where he talks about those ways to connect in the middle. Good post.
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I see where he's coming from, but I'm not sure the answer is to not vote (though I might have said that at one point in my life, to be honest). I think really what happening is that our eyes are being opened to just how divided we really are and how hard it is to find common ground anymore. For me, I believe that the common ground is the love of Christ, but can both sides get along well enough to stand on that common ground together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree with Roth's no voting stance either, but I appreciate his chapters of finding middle ground. And I think he would agree with you that at the root of that common ground is faith, but there are ways to find it on even the most divisive of issues in our communities. Also - several churches in this area are holding election night communion services, purposefully held together with congregations that may lean more to the "other side" which I find very interesting, and hopeful.

      Delete
  3. If I'm being totally honest, I am much better off having defriended and unsubscribed from some people who made me particularly upset and distraught. I realize that's not the answer for everyone (especially you as a pastor), but I have the doomsday view that we're never going to be able to get along in this arena - I have chosen to accept that and I have taken action to enable myself to continue to respect people who are doing their best to make me dislike them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe for me a part of the problem is I realize I have to operate with a LOT more grace around some people. If I take your approach, and choose not to see how people operate in these realms, I can interact with them more easily. But maybe not as authentically? Maybe without as much grace? I don't know. Still working through it.

      Delete
  4. Your post describes exactly why I don't use Facebook much anymore. I check it every now and then to see if someone has sent me a message. As for posting anything or reading through comments, I try to avoid it. I just got so tired of seeing how things escalated, and then feeling my heart race as I felt like it was my responsibility to "correct" them. Life's too short to argue with people who are unlikely to change their mind anyhow. At least this way, I stay oblivious to our our possible differences and can enjoy what we have in common when I see people in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desire to "correct" is a big issue with me. Except usually, instead of correcting, I ridicule and bombard them with sarcasm.

      Delete
  5. Dan! I just posted about this feeling today, I think you're right about facebook. I love it, but I guess I wish I didn't know every political view of every friend because it is hard to separate certain views with how I feel about them, which I hate! Being a pastor and politics would absolutely be the hardest thing when it comes to not pushing others away with your views. Great post.

    ReplyDelete