Monday, May 14, 2012

This week: Social Media in Worship

This past week I was at a conference in Indianapolis where one of our sessions was on using social media in worship, and it got me thinking about all of the cool ways that I've seen churches use social media as a means to worship. So I'll share three of my favorites this week.

But first, we should probably tackle the question of should we.

As Ian Malcolm once said, "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."



Fair point, Ian.

From what I have seen, there are a lot of pros to using social media in worship. It is not necessarily another thing you do in worship, but another means by which you can engage in worship. It is a primary form of communication for many people. It allows people to move out of worshipping passively and into an active form of worship.

However, many criticisms have also been raised. Isn't it distracting? Doesn't it take away from the sermon or whatever? If you're tweeting, can't you easily just end up checking the scores of ballgames and Facebook and whatever?

I'd love to hear your comments on what you think. For me, I think you can get distracted by anything, and that's more of your own discipline issue than anything else. Of course, I'm a bit biased. What do you think/

1 comment:

  1. We visited a nearby large church and my husband pointed out simply how green they could go if someone would just create an app to substitute for the bulletin - especially when all the announcements say "email so and so for questions or to sign up". can you imagine the interconnectedness of being able to meet a need and then put it in your ical?

    as to our point of during worship, i say more power. can someone check scores? sure. will they? likely. but it's not a lot different than the grocery lists that I never create either mentally or on the aforementioned paper bulletin. but my grocery list bulletin doesn't offer me an opportunity to engage - whereas a good twitter chat on "did he mean?..." would. and if tweeting, I might not be able to name all 4 points if quizzed, but perhaps one of those points, when reinforced by conversation, could change my life.

    ReplyDelete