Tuesday, May 8, 2012

LOL and Other Lies

One of the biggest issues we have with social media is that you can't see the facial expressions of other people, so you can't tell what tone of voice they are using when they say something.

This is especially problematic for people like me who speak fluent sarcasm. If you don't know me well, you might see the things I'm saying and think I'm a complete jerk.

After several misunderstandings, people in the social media world began using abbreviated language to express their emotion. I'm guessing the first use went something like this.

User 1: ...and then she said, "No, YOU had the potato!
User 2: Your joke was so humorous that I laughed audibly.
User 1: We should come up with an easier way for you to say that.
User 2: I could abbreviate it! YJWSHTILA
User 1: Perfect!


Eventually, this was shortened to LOL for "Laugh Out Loud."

Over time, this abbreviation began to be used more and more frequently until it lost its literal meaning. I'm going to be honest, I almost never laugh out loud when I read something on the internet. But I find things supremely funny. And so I type LOL anyways. It has come to mean in those situations "I acknowledge your successful use of humor."

In other circumstances, I will use LOL after I say something, in order to show someone I'm joking. Notice the difference in the following sentences:


"I'm going to punch you in the face with a hammer."

"I'm going to punch you in the face with a hammer LOL"


The first is a threat. The second is a light-hearted jab.

There are several other emotional abbreviations that are used on Facebook, Twitter, and Texting. Here is a helpful list of literal definitions.


j/k = "just kidding." Literal meaning: I'm not kidding, but I don't want you to be mad at me.

ROTFL = "Rolling On The Floor Laughing." Literal meaning: That was very funny, but I am in no way actually rolling on the floor laughing. I may have made an audible giggle.

IMO/IMHO = "In My Opinion/In My Humble Opinion." Literal meaning: You have no idea how right I am and how wrong you are.

SMH = "Shaking My Head." Literal meaning: That is incredibly stupid.

BRB = "Be Right Back." Literal meaning: I have to pee.

:) = "Smiley face." Literal meaning: The same way you would use a smile in a face to face conversation. Even a fake smile.

2 = "to" or "two" or "too" Literal meaning: I am so lazy I can't type out a 2 or 3 letter word.

BFF = "Best Friend Forever." Literal meaning: I will never speak to you again after high school.

OMG = "Oh My God." Literal meaning: I have found the quickest way possible to take the Lord's name in vain!


That's just a short list. What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. I actually LedOL at this post. My kids thought I was laughing at them. TTYL
    Charla

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like to specify my levels of humor; in conversations when someone does make me audibly chuckle, i share "literal LOL."

    ReplyDelete