Friday, May 11, 2012

Follow Friday: my mom

I noticed that up until now, I had only done fake interviews with men. This was not intentional. Sorry ladies.

So today, I want to fake interview one of the most prolific and influential women in all of Christendom - my mom.




She's the one on the right.

The good Reverend Erma Metzger is the pastor of Vanlue Christ UMC and the mother of this blogger. No one I know has the fierce combination of insightful exegesis and melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookies. It's a wicked 1-2 punch.

You can find Ermbabe on Facebook, but I haven't yet convinced her to get on Twitter. C'mon Erma.

So I sat down with the reverend mother for a completely fake and in no way real interview.


Me: Hi mommy.

Erma: Oh crap, are you really pulling me into one of these?

Me: Absolutely. It's my mother's day present to you.

Erma: I wanted flowers.

Me: Already sent them. They were half "I love you" and half "I'm sorry."

Erma: Alright, so what are we talking about today?

Me: A couple of things. First, what's your take on social media stuff?

Erma: I like it. I use Facebook quite a bit. It's a great way to stay in touch with others and share about what's going on in your own family.

Me: Yeah...about that. I've noticed lots of pictures of Jake recently, and not so many of me. I'm beginning to think he's your favorite.

Erma: Oh, he definitely is. Not even close.

Me: Wow. That's brutally honest.

Erma: It's how I roll, yo.

Me: So you are in a small, rural church. Can you still use social media in your ministry?

Erma: Absolutely. We have a church Facebook page, and I reach out to people on Facebook all the time. Sometimes I find out they're in the hospital or going through a rough time when I'm checking Facebook. It helps me to be a better pastor. We also have an interactive church website that allows people to share with one another. It's pretty widely utilized!

Me: Very cool! I assume most of this knowledge you've garnered about social media has come from someone else. Someone close to you who inspires you. I mean, they may even be younger than you, but you look to them for wisdom and guidance.

Erma: Yes, honey. Your brother Kyle has been a big help. Thanks for leading me to mention him.

Me: Not at all what I was going for. Let me be more specific. What's it like to be the mother of me? I'm becoming a successful pastor and I'm pretty influential now among some circles in my use of social media. I'll just come out and say it: I'm kind of a big deal. How awesome is it to be my mom?

Erma: Eh. It's alright.

Me: Just alright?!

Erma: Look, your father and I will always love you. But blogging? Really? Isn't that kind of "5 years ago?" And you're not even a senior pastor yet. You're almost 30.

Me: ... but...it's just the system I'm in. The program was a 3 year program. I couldn't help that it took this long! I'm getting ordained next month!

Erma: I'll believe it when I see it.

Me: Wow...this has been eye opening.

Erma: Dan, I love you. And you'll always have a special place in my heart. It's just a much smaller place than the ones I have for your brothers.

Me: Do you at least like me more than your dog?

Erma: No. I mean, before you made me do this interview, maybe it was a tie. But now...no.

Me: Can I have the flowers back that I sent you?

Erma: Sorry. I already threw them out. I needed box to send a care package to Jake at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment