Monday, September 3, 2012

A 5,000 Flashback! The Worst Thing You can do on Facebook

Thanks so much for all you have done for me in reading this blog. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started writing about social media and it's use in Christian communities. Since last March, Being Followable has had more than 5,000 views, and I've begun to do some teaching around the use of social media in churches for pastors and church leaders in my conference. It's been a wild ride!

So to celebrate, I thought I would repost the most viewed, most commented on, and most controversial of the posts I've done. Turns out, the same post takes the prize for all three criteria!

I've thought about this topic a lot since I first posted it. I'm not sure I've changed my mind, but I've definitely contemplated what I talk about on Facebook in a new light thanks to all the responses this original post received.


The worst thing you can do on Facebook

Full disclosure: I have stepped on this landmine more than once.

And it always ruins my day.

I'm a pretty mellow guy. I don't get too fired up about politics, hot button issues, and all that stuff. I tend to believe that the most important thing for people to come to agree with me on is Jesus Christ and Him crucified. We can work out the rest of the details later on.

But now and then, I will allow something to upset me. I'll get passionate about a somewhat controversial topic. I will find that many people disagree with me, and I know that they are way wrong or misinformed.

And I post a Facebook status about it.

Cue dramatic music.

The worst thing you can do on Facebook is stir up controversy over touchy subjects. Please hear me when I say this: I'm sure these topics are important. They may be consuming a large portion of your personal life. It may be all you are thinking about. You may be absolutely sure that you are right.

Please leave it off of Facebook.

Facebook is really good for a lot of things. It is not good for controversy. Here are some reasons why:

1. It is almost impossible to convey a tone of voice or demeanor over Facebook. I tend to make a lot of snarky comments and I love me some good old fashioned sarcasm. When dealing with hot button issues, sarcasm does not translate on Facebook. People who are passionate on one side of an issue or the other often will totally miss the joke and go straight for why you are an inconsiderate sinner who is ruining the world with your presence and your opinions. It doesn't matter how many smiley faces you put after your comments or how thick you lay it on.

2. Many of the people on Facebook don't really know you. People who really know your heart will likely be able to read the intent behind what you are saying and even if they disagree with you, they will respect you and your opinion. But Facebook is full of people you haven't seen in ten years or had a real conversation with, like, ever. You can't assume people will know where you are coming from.

3. It creates a stumbling block for people. I have been unfriended for comments I have made on issues that are not nearly as important to me as making sure someone knows just how much God loves them. Now, they see nothing positive that I post, and only remember that I'm a Christian and they hate my ideas and opinions. I've wiped out any chance of communicating anything good to them.

Many of these are conversations that need to be had. They are topics that need to be discussed. Just not on Facebook.

Have you ever stepped on that landmine? Was it a topic you didn't realize would be so controversial, or did you know what you were getting in to?

Think before you post, and ask this question each time: Will this help me accomplish the larger goal of making the name of Jesus famous?


No comments:

Post a Comment