Friday, March 23, 2012

Follow Friday: Fake Interview with Jon Acuff

In the Twitterverse, it is a tradition that on Fridays you send out a tweet with the hashtag #ff, which stands for "Follow Friday." You then include in your tweets the Twitter handle for your favorite people to follow on Twitter that you think others would enjoy following as well.

So each Friday, I'll give a suggestion and have a totally fake interview with someone to follow on social media who I think has really mastered a mix social media and authentic Christian living.

The first mention has to go to Jon Acuff. Jon is active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and his blog - www.jonacuff.com. Four years ago, Jon found the internet meme "stuff white people like," and started a parody called, "Stuff Christians Like." If you grew up in the church or have been a part of the church for any significant period of time, Stuff Christians Like is pure gold comedy.

Recently, Jon listed his most popular posts from the past four years. The titles include:

1. Understanding how metrosexual your worship leader is.
2. Booty, God, Booty
3. Saying, “I’ll pray for you” and then not.
4. The Jesus Juke
5. Leg dropping elves.
6. Running into famous Christians. (AKA “The Michael W. Smith” incident.)
7. Hand raising worship – The 10 styles
8. Surviving church as a single.
9. The side hug.
10. Thinking you’re naked.

I have read all of these. They are hilarious, with an added dose sometimes of a spiritual gut punch that makes you re-evaluate how you live your life authentically as a Christian.

I sat down for a completely fake and in no way real interview with Jon Acuff this morning in the coffee shop. The following is a totally fabricated transcript.


Me: Thanks for coming to be interviewed on such short notice.

Jon: It's my pleasure. Anything to help get your blog up and running.

Me: Wow. That's really generous of you. I figured I'd have to at least pay you or something.

Jon: Nope. Pro bono fledgling blog interviews are one of my great passions.

Me: So how did YOU get started?

Jon: I noticed in my church growing up that people liked to put a "God spin" on secular things. Especially on tee shirts. Burger King became "King of Kings." Adidas became "Add Jesus." It weirded me out. So I decided to start a blog about some of these things.

Me: How did you decide on the format?

Jon: Well, at that time "Stuff White People Like" was becoming a huge internet meme. So I thought I would make a blog that parodied that called "Stuff Christians Like." My first post was called "Putting a God Spin on Popular Secular Ideas."

Me: *blank stare*

Jon: What?

Me: But...isn't that what you were doing? Taking a popular secular idea and putting a God spin on it?

Jon: Exactly. That's why it's funny.

Me: Oh, because you ARE a Christian and you DO like it?

Jon: No, I hate it when Christians do that.

Me: So you aren't a Christian?

Jon: What? No, I'm definitely a Christian.

Me: But I thought you said that putting a God spin on secular ideas was something that Christians like?

Jon: It is. But I don't. It's satire. The irony is what makes it funny.

Me: Ah, gotcha. It's ironic.

Jon: Exactly.

Me: Like rain on your wedding day?

Jon: No. That's just unfortunate.

Me: So what happened after that?

Jon: It totally exploded. I couldn't believe the response I got. I now have over a thousand Stuff Christians Like posts, a book on that topic, and have written several other things. I joined Dave Ramsey's team in Nashville and have been going strong ever since.

Me: Wow, that's awesome. Do you think this blog I'm doing has the same chance to go viral like yours?

Jon: *long pause* Sure....sure little buddy! You'll do a swell job!

Me: Really?! Thanks, Jon!

Jon: *stares*

Me: Any advice on how Christians should use social media?

Jon: Just let me say this. Don't let your social media life define you. It is important, but not more important than your family. It's not more important than your relationship with Jesus. And if you let the people who comment on your blog and the number of Twitter followers you have define your self worth, you will be very sad.

Me: Really? I figured by next year with the few thousand followers I have that it would bring me a lot of happiness...

Jon: *leans in and looks me dead in the eye* You will be very, VERY sad.

Me: I'm feeling like you were less than sincere in your optimism about my blog.

Jon: ...

Me: I think this interview is about over. Anything else you want to say?

Jon: Buy my new book: "Quitter," only $9.99 on the Kindle!

Me: How is it that you get to do a book plug in a fake interview?

Jon: Don't ask me. It's your weird subconscious. Can I please leave it now?

Me: Fine. Settle up at the counter though. I didn't pay for our coffee and I have no money.

Jon: Financial issues? You should check out daveramsey.com...

Me: Just leave.


(30 minutes later I get this on Twitter)




I take this as validation that the Jon Acuff in my subconscious would have actually said those things.

1 comment: